In the Garden: Selecting Seeds

/
0 Comments
With my garden planning steaming ahead, I had to start choosing the actual plants I am going to try to grow this year. The Baker Creek catalog of heirloom seeds has been my constant companion for the past few weeks, and I have nearly read it cover to cover. You can order it from them, but last year, the catalog took about four weeks to arrive, and I was way too impatient for that this year, so I picked it up at Barnes & Noble.


Learning the stories behind the plant seeds that the Missouri-based company has gathered from around the world is fascinating to me, and the photography in the catalog is absolutely gorgeous.


After a few weeks of perusing the extensive seed catalog, and researching plant spacing and square foot gardening approaches, I was ready to order.

Here is what will be growing in my 2016 garden, Mother Nature willing:

Beans:
  • Blue Lake Bush
  • Calima Bush
  • Purple Dove Bush 
  • Red Swan Bush
  • Dragon Tongue Bush
  • Barnside Sweet Runner Bean
  • Scarlet Runner Bean
  • Purple Podded Pole Bean

Carrots:
  • Atomic Red
  • Carnival Blend
  • Short n Sweet

Cucumbers:
  • Marketmore 76
  • National Pickling
  • Tendergreen Burpless

Eggplant:
  • Antigua
  • Casper
  • Diamond

Onion: Flavor King

Peppers:
  • Chinese Five Color
  • Jalapeno
  • Sweet bells, including California Wonder, Diamond, Golden California Wonder, Orange Sun and Purple Beauty

Pumpkins:
  • Baby Boo
  • Jack-Be-Little

Snow Pea: Oregon Sugar Pod II

Squash:
  • Black Beauty zucchini
  • Burpee's Fordhook zucchini
  • Early Prolific Straightneck squash
  • Summer Crookneck squash

Tomatoes: These are my real loves and where I plan to spend most of my space and time. I've allotted 34 in-ground spaces for tomatoes, and likely will stick a couple in grow bags at home, as well. So far, only two on the list are hybrids - Sun Gold or Sun Sugar and Super Sweet 100s. The rest are heirlooms, and even their names are intriguing. Here is what I chose:

Cherry tomatoes:
  • Black Cherry
  • Chocolate Cherry
  • Hartman's Yellow Gooseberry
  • Purple Bumblebee
  • Sunrise Bumblebee
  • Chocolate Pear
  • Yellow Pear
  • Ivory Egg

Slicers and saucers:
  • Arkansas Traveler
  • Aunt Ruby's German Green
  • Bonny Best
  • Kellogg's Breakfast
  • Green Zebra
  • Orange Strawberry
  • Black From Tula
  • Mr. Stripey
  • Amish Paste
  • Stupice
  • Cherokee Purple
  • Mortgage Lifter
  • Box Car Willie
  • Beefsteak
  • Black Brandywine
  • Red Brandywine
  • Yellow Brandywine

A couple (Cherokee Purple, Mr. Stripey) are seeds I saved from 2015 plants. A handful, I picked up at Ott's Exotic Plants in Schwenksville. The rest, I ordered from Baker Creek. When the order arrived, I was like a kid in a candy store.


Now, to get them all started in time...


You may also like

No comments: